Title: West Building, Boys Dept. School for the Blind, Austin
Date: ca. 1880s
Place: Austin, Travis County, Texas
Description: The Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired was established in 1856 as the Asylum for the Blind. The school’s name was changed in 1905 to Blind Institute and again in 1915 to Texas School for the Blind. Its current name was adopted in 1989. in 1866, General George Cuter quartered his unit at the school as part of a federal presence after the Civil War.
Part Of: Lawrence T. Jones III Texas Photography Collection
Series: Series 4: Texas Locations and People
Physical Description: 1 photographic print: gelatin silver; 11.4 x 17.8 cm. on 20.3 x 25.4 cm. mount
Rights: Please cite Southern Methodist University, Central University Libraries, DeGolyer Library when using this image file. A high-quality version of this file may be obtained for a fee by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, see: http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/jtx/id/627
View the Lawrence T. Jones III Texas Photography Collection: http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/all/cul/jtx/